ART EXHIBITION

BERLIN

IS ALWAYS

GOOD

FOR A

SURPRISE

It also captures the spirit of the recent art project in the old garage at Wilhelmsaue 32. An artist collective accepted our invitation to use the existing building as a projection screen for urban and contemporary art during the time prior to its demolition and the start of construction.

WANDELISM

Visitors waited in line for hours to admire the resulting works as part of the exhibition. Around 35,000 visitors visited ”WANDELISM” in just two and a half weeks.

“WANDELISM” united different urban styles – from graffiti to contemporary art and installations – under an overarching theme of change or “Wandel” the German word for “change”.

Around 30 percent of the revenues generated were donated to a kindergarten project. The remaining 70 percent were split among the artists and helpers.

„WANDELISM“

STATEMENT

Alexander Harnisch, CEO Geschäftsführer:

 

“INTERIM USE

LIKE IN THE

1990s”

The current economic boom in Berlin has its source not least in the appeal and charisma of the city’s art and creative scene in the 1990s. The creative media industry has contributed its fair share to the attractiveness of Berlin as a whole.

Its surging performance is explained by the availability of affordable floor space. The 1990s were a time of creative interim use of vacant premises – they fuelled Berlin’s creative media industry, and much of it was temporary. The more you build, the greater the number of opportunities to set up temporary art rooms. It is a solution that will continue to work today and help sustain the vibrant art scene in Berlin.

Berlin’s appeal has always been the charm of a never finished and always evolving city. Now, after decades of rapid change and with suitable places getting scarce, an effort should be made to use the remaining corners that are still in the process of being changed, and to make them available to artists who are having an increasingly hard time to find the right kind of place.

After all, Berlin is considered Germany’s most fascinating art and culture metropolis. We have been, and continue to be, committed to sponsoring the art scene in suitable ways.

Indeed, we have been doing so for the past eight years by organising various art projects at our construction sites.
Ahead of the start of construction, the historic garage building at Wilhelmsaue 32 lent itself to the display not just of street art but also of sculptures and performances.
Wandelism hosted renowned artists of the street art scene while also being open to lesser known or even unknown artists. The result was an exciting mix. Everyone was welcome to engage in Wandelism -a portmanteau of “vandalism” and “Wandel,” i.e. the German word for change – as long as there was space to accommodate everyone.

Artists
ONUR / WENU / FINO / LOOMIT / 1UP / BERLIN KIDZ ÜF / DXTR / DAVE THE CHIMP / RAWS / BASE 23 / BOA1 / TOBO / BEN ONE / OUPS / TOY CREW / VIDAM / STEREOHEAT / STAN / NASCA UNO / WESR / BOA1 / AKTE ONE / KUZB 136 / ANNE BENGARD / HAGEN SCHÖNFELD / KISH / PAULA HARTMANN / OSTAP SELFMADE CREW / YAT / BILL KNOSPI / SENOR SCHNU / CAROLINA AMAYA / JEROME GRAFF / HÜLPMAN / PARISURTEIL / OLLYOLLYOXFORDFREAK / KARTOFFELTIERCHEN / KRANK / STAN / MARINA ZUMI / KISH / WANDBRAND / AIRBIOS / DRINK & DRAW / GOMES / CLAIRE CHAULET / 75SCON / PAIN / FARIBA LENZEN / SATO / SKENAR 73 / ZVENZVEN / DEJOE / FABIFA / SPOARE 153 / CATHERINE LUPIS THOMAS / ROSCO / DUTER / KAWAII FESTIVAL / SKALMO / TACK / RON MILLER / CANION.BERLIN / ANDREAS GEBALLER / RENZO BAYER / EMMA RYTOFT / LARA MINERVA / TOMEKK / RIOT1394 / THYM’ART / MR SASA / RISER / ALICE GRUEN / AEROSOLIKZ / COKYONE / C0MPUTERJAN / MABU / EILEEN MARIE TRETTER / JERON / MARIA BALANOVSKAYA / ANTON SIEBER & MASCHA ARNOLD / KEMUS WUAN / SPEZIAL / STILL BLASTIN / DER PAUL / BESH / BEYOND2WORLDS / BORN TO DIE IN BERLIN / BEUNITED & KODIE / BUSD / CAGE / COKY ONE / DADARA / DAMIAN YVES ROHDE / DANIEL IHRKE / DANIELA UHLIG / DR.ANK / DANONE / DRAK / EGOSOUP / EME / ERNA / FELIX RODEWALDT / HATCH STICKER MUSEUM / IGGY KOV / IVAN BLAZETIC SUMSKI / JOHANN FRIES / JOKO / JÜRGEN SCHLOTTER / KAES / LETTER_HOLEK / LOLA / MAIKELSDESIGN / MAKEARTE / MARIA AKA ABER / FR. MAGROW / MARU / MC FITTI / MEDIAN 95 / MESY / MR SASA / MUECKE 32 / MY CUTE CREATURES / ORKA NEW / ORSON 77 / ROPE / SAD FACE ALEKSEY ILKAIF / SHEK / SP 38 / STAN / STEN 9540 / STONE / TAPE PLANES INTERNATIONAL / TAXI / TEKO VAN KUYK / THE ALEX SHEW / THOMAS / TIK ONE / T-JAY / TOM KOZALLA / TRU BERLIN / UWE UNDACOVER / YAIRAN MONTEJO / KITRA / MINIMAN / ZVENZVEN

x